Taking the TSI Assessment
Students who are not exempted from TSI requirements by other means must take the TSI Assessment. The University of Texas at Austin does not accept scores from other assessments such as COMPASS, ACCUPLACER, THEA, or ASSET. The TSI Assessment is designed to help the university determine if you are ready for college-level course work in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics.
The goal of the test is to provide more detailed information regarding your academic strengths.
- It is comprised of multiple-choice questions and will ask you to write an essay if you are required to take the writing assessment
- The assessment is untimed
- It is computer-adaptive, meaning that questions increase or decrease in difficulty level depending on how you respond
- Once you have completed the assessment, your scores and information on your proficiency will be provided immediately
- You may retake all or any sections as many times as you would like (this will require the same registration and fee)
- You are required to complete the Pre-Assessment Activity before you take the TSI Assessment
What happens if I don’t meet the minimum requirements?
The TSI Assessment is designed to help the university determine if you are ready for college-level course work in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. If your scores fall below the minimum listed below, the TSI Assessment will also help determine what type of developmental course or intervention will best help you succeed in subsequent courses at the university.
The minimum TSI Assessment scores required to satisfy TSI requirements at UT are
Before January 11, 2021
- Reading: 351
- Mathematics: 350
- Writing: Essay score of 4 and multiple choice of 340 or higher; OR multiple choice of less than 340, an ABE diagnostic level of at least 4, and essay of at least 5
After January 11, 2021
- Mathematics: 950 OR 910-949 + diagnostic score of 6
- ELAR: 945-990 + Essay of at least 5 OR 910-944, diagnostic score of 5 or 6, and Essay of 5-8
Students who do not meet the minimum requirements in one or more sections of the TSI Assessment must meet with the TSI Advisor during Orientation to choose one of the developmental plans that are being offered in colleges.